Monday, October 23, 2023

DAY "23" OF THE HAUNTING


 Photo by Richard Loader on Unsplash

THE FOG

The fog is gathering again. Evil lives in its depths. And I know I'm a victim. Last Halloween, while on my way home, the car suddenly stopped. I had plenty of gas, and the battery was new. But no matter what I did, the damn thing wouldn't start.

A mile yet to go. I could do that. I'd be home in fifteen minutes. I gathered my belongings. Right before stepping out of the car, I saw the fog. It was approaching fast. Blowing in waves like thick smoke pushed by an otherworldly wind. There was no breeze, but watching it move belied that.

I locked the car door and ran home. My heel caught and broke. I kicked my shoes off and continued barefoot. Superstition about the fog urged me forward.

But something grabbed me from behind. I was at his mercy.

A knife slashed my cheek. I kicked backward and somehow got free. I raced to the door, key in hand, and I was inside just as the fog reached my porch. The clock chimed midnight.

I was bloody, but I was alive. And the fog had disappeared.

Tonight, a year later, it's Halloween once again.

The temperature keeps dropping, and the fog has surrounded my house. Death's come to finish the job.

The chill of fear brittles my bones. I close the curtains, check all the locks, and return to the dining room to ensure the patio door is double-locked. But I'd already done that several times. I was on edge, unable to think straight. Terror had me in its talons.

As the clock began the countdown to midnight, I breathed a sigh of relief. But then noticed the fog seeping in from every crevice. Even locked doors wouldn't keep death out. He's come for me again. I ran to the bathroom shower and turned on the cold water. Surly, cold water will kill the fog and keep me safe. Just a few more chimes till midnight…

     The next morning:

"That psycho slasher has struck again," the police officer tells the detective as he walks into my house.

~~**~~

350 Words

Yolanda Renée © 2023

Photo by wild vibes on Unsplash

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

5 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I am glad to read this on a very clear and sunny day - despite loving fog.

Kelly Steel said...

Spooky and scary. I'm glad today the sun is all out in it's glory!

Yolanda Renée said...

Sue, I love it too, but there's something so mysterious about it.

Kelly, I know what you mean!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Yolanda - that's horrifying ... very disturbing - thank goodness it's morning here! Cheers Hilary

Yolanda Renée said...

Hilary, Fog is just so mysterious. I love a foggy day, when I'm warm inside that is! LOL