Monday, April 10, 2017

H thru M for the A to Z



H = Hoodoo Mountains, AK

Home of the Arctic Man Challenge. The Arctic Man is one of the World's Toughest Downhill Ski races, and an exciting snowmobile race, all in one.”


"The Alaska Interior covers most of the U.S. state's territory. It is largely wilderness. Mountains include Denali in the Alaska Range, the Wrangell Mountains, and the Ray Mountains. The native people of the interior are Alaskan Athabaskans." wikipedia.org  




Juneau is the capital of Alaska.
"Downtown Juneau is nestled at the base of Mount Juneau and across the channel from Douglas Island. The Tlingit name of the town is Dzántik'i Héeni, and Auke Bay just north of Juneau proper is called Áak'w in Tlingit.
The Taku River, just south of Juneau, was named after the cold t'aakh wind, which occasionally blows down from the mountains." wikipedia.com
Steven Quaid is Tlingit, and his family is from Juneau.
"Gold! Gold! in the Klondike!"
"During the first year of the rush an estimated 20,000 to 30,000 gold seekers spent an average of three months packing their outfits up the trails and over the passes to the lakes."
"More than 3,000 animals died on this trail; many of their bones still lie at the bottom on Dead Horse Gulch." National Park Service



The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool.
Stephen King

L = Liars
“A sociopath is typically defined as someone who lies incessantly to get their way and does so with little concern for others.” Truth About Deception

Stone is a sociopath and very adept at lying.

Here’s a place you can take a quiz and see where you fall on the lying scale. HERE!



“A marionette is a puppet controlled from above using wires or strings depending on regional variations. A marionette's puppeteer is called a marionettist.
Marionettes are operated with the puppeteer hidden or revealed to an audience by using a vertical or horizontal control bar in different forms of theatres or entertainment venues.” Wikipedia
There is a chapter in the Snowman titled Marionette, enough said. 😉
***
The Snowman
Yolanda Renée

Excerpt:
The forest was still. The cold misty air filled Steven’s lungs revitalizing him. Breathing deeply, he let the stress of the last few months slip away.
The confrontation with his father over his career choice left Steven on edge even though they’d compromised. Steven had met the political machine in Juneau, and his father had enlisted the aid of several of his friends to add more pressure. While consistent, the timeline for submission to the political realm had moved to the future. His father wouldn't give up that easy. Hell, Dad will never give up; it's why he such a good politician.
He scoped through the trees of the valley and focused on the Mendenhall Glacier. The knots in his shoulders loosened. A vision of creamy skin tucked under a garbage bag cleaved its way into his thoughts. I wonder what’s happening in the case. Did another clue surface?
The grunts of a moose took his mind off the mystery. Bow and arrow in hand he scanned the area.
***
Would you ski down a mountain while being pulled by a snowmobile?
One of the biggest tourist sites, Interior Alaska, if you only take the cruise, look at what you're missing.
Juneau, would you live in a place only accessible by boat or plane?
Would you risk it all on the Klondike?
How good of a liar are you?
Are you as creeped out by Marionettes as I am?



*****


Okay, the truth, I bit off more than I could chew!
I will not be able to adequately participate in the challenge. Although, I'll let my posts run, there is no way I can get to all the daily postings, although I will make an attempt to hit everyone at least once a week!
Wishing you all the best for the rest of this crazy busy month!





36 comments:

Sophie Duncan said...

I don't think those of us born in a country like the UK can fully comprehend true wilderness, because even the areas of forest and moorland we have are tiny compared to 'the interior' as you describe it.
Sophie
Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles - Dragon Diaries

Nilanjana Bose said...

So awful that so many animals died on that trail! I would do very well living in remote places, cities seriously put me off :) Does Juneau have a bookshop? library? that's all counts.

Hope all is under control. Don't feel compelled to return my visits, you're welcome anytime of course, but no pressure.

Take care,
Nila
Madly-in-Verse

Tasha Duncan-Drake said...

I wouldn't ski down a mountain, let alone being pulled by a snowmobile! Madness I say, madness! :)
I am a terrible liar - one look at my face gives it all away :)
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings - Shapeshifters and Werewolves

Pat Hatt said...

Would be nice to find a pile or 50 of gold. Try to say Alaskan Athabaskans 3 times fast haha. Hopefully your chewing gets back on track lol

cleemckenzie said...

No to the snowmobile and me on skis! And marionettes are right up there with clowns on my DONT LEAVE ME ALONE WITH ONE!

Chemist Ken said...

I've only skied once or twice, so not I would not try to ski behind the snowmobile. Marionettes don't creep me out at all--unless of course they're moving on their own accord and that's a whole 'nother ball game.

The Happy Whisk said...

Understandable that you cannot get to them all. Besides that, your writing is more important than getting to every single ding dong post of the A/Z game.

Susan A Eames said...

I knew I wasn't going to be able to find time to do the challenge this year - especially with the changes the organisers made! Don't beat yourself up about being unable to keep up the posts.

Susan A Eames at
Travel, Fiction and Photos

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Susan!
It's honestly, near impossible. This time of the year is one of the busiest, and I love being busy, but right now I feel every job is half-assed. Damn!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Ivy, it's just not going to happen. Not this time!

Yolanda Renée said...

That would be horrific! Don't know why clowns, puppets, and cartoon animals, or talking animals of any kind bother me, but they do! LOL

Yolanda Renée said...

It's the eyes, I'm sure, or the voices people use. Creepy! LOL

Yolanda Renée said...

Nope, not even going to try! Gold would be nice but not at that cost! Hi, Pat!

Yolanda Renée said...

In Alaska, the wilderness goes on and on! Beautiful!

Yolanda Renée said...

I love the secluded too, but downtown Anchorage would suit me very well! LOL
Library, oh yeah!
Right now nothing is under control, but a break is always good!

Yolanda Renée said...

Yes, madness!
I'm an awful liar too, or is that an awful good liar???? LOL

Unknown said...

I bowed out this year because there's simply too much on my plate! All the best with your writing.
Damyanti

Kalpana said...

That's a brilliant way to do the challenge but still keep your sanity. I'm beginning to feel like you and despair at the shallowness of what I'm writing. Sigh. I wouldn't do the Arctic Man Challenge - don't know how to ski - here in India we have one skiing resort only. Best of luck for your writing.
Individuality #Lexicon of Leaving

Nick Wilford said...

How amazing it would be to have that view of a dramatic cloud-covered mountain from your back garden. I do like being able to drive places though!

Nicola said...

I'd love to drive a snowmobile. Sounds like fun. I think you are amazing to be doing so much all at once - also a bit crazy LOL! I am loving the excerpts, Yolanda. So much so, I'm buying the book as soon as I can. When is it out? I can't find it anywhere. Have a great week and don't forget to take a break. Burnout is not an option. Take good care!!

Denise said...

I don't ski and never had any interest in doing so. I hate winter! I live in metro Detroit and we have some islands around here where folks have only a ferry to get to the mainland. Not me of course. Someone once said I would never make it in politics because I was too honest, but I lasted more than 20 years so I am not sure what that means. Marionettes? I was creeped out by Pinocchio as a kid. As fro the challenge, I never try to visit all the blogs. There are many I have no interest in reading at all. And I will not apologize for skipping them. Alaska is on my must-see list, but I will likely do a cruise at this point in my life.

@msdeniseh553
Denise at My Life in Retirement Ice Cream

Deborah Weber said...

I've certainly been enjoying your posts, but absolutely encourage you to handle it all in a way that feels nourishing and nurturing to you. When overwhelm hits sometimes the best thing is to sweep your hand across the table and clear all the stuff piled on it. And no matter how or if you play in the challenge, Snowman is on my reading list.

Keith's Ramblings said...

I was doing fine until the marionette. Being highly strung myself I found it a bit close to home!

Another day in Amble Bay!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Damyanti!
You played it smart! Wish I had! :)

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Kalpana, I'm still behind though. Just too much else going on! Nope, no Arctic Man for me either!

Yolanda Renée said...

Yeah, it would feel limiting, unless you got a pilots license! Hi, Nick!

Yolanda Renée said...

Fascinating machines, tumbling off them, not so much. :) Thanks, Nicola, I appreciate that!

Yolanda Renée said...

I've love the snow, but not the darkness. It gets tiring. Never liked puppets. The cruise will be awesome. I took the Ferry from Seattle to Haines, Alaska, and it was amazing!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Deborah: I'm trying, but beautiful weather isn't helping. Hooky anyone? :)

Yolanda Renée said...

LOL, I know what you mean!

The Happy Whisk said...

Totally understandable.

Click said...

Well done for participating in whichever way is working best for you. :-)

Cait @ Click's Clan

Tamara Narayan said...

I do think I'm a pretty good liar because I tell the truth at least 90 percent of the time. Or is that a lie?

Anyway, I enjoyed the super quick bits of info here, and I'm completely behind in returning comments, my kid is sick and Spring Break is starting tomorrow. Gah!!

K is for Kevlar—Gift From Aliens?

Debbie D. said...

Lots of interesting material here. ☺ I'm not that good of a liar and don't do it often. Learning how to downhill ski was difficult and I wasn't good at it. Can't imagine being dragged down the hill by a snowmobile! :o No way could I live anywhere as cold as Alaska and isolation would drive me nuts. I wouldn't mind visiting in the summer, though. The scenery must be spectacular! No worries, Yolanda; real life before blogging. It's always a pleasure to see you, whenever you have the time and if you don't, that's okay too. Hope your book sells many copies!

Tamara said...

Would you ski down a mountain while being pulled by a snowmobile? Probably not, unless they go really slowly!
One of the biggest tourist sites, Interior Alaska, if you only take the cruise, look at what you're missing. Alright, I'll go off the boat and explore!
Juneau, would you live in a place only accessible by boat or plane? I think I may for a couple of month or a year.
Would you risk it all on the Klondike? Nah, I am not greedy enough, plus I don't have any survival skills.
How good of a liar are you? I took the Compulsive Lying Survey and scored mainstream. Personally I feel it's not worth lying because the truth will come out eventually. Also I probably wouldn't remember what lie I told to whom and therefore create a huge mess.
Are you as creeped out by Marionettes as I am? There are some friendly ones. I once watched a marionette player dancing with his puppet while he played the Radetzky March on his portable player. This was epic!

Martha said...

Wow! I really enjoy your writing!You describe every detail so meticulously. Read your book per a night. When did you start writing? Was it from childhood or come later? Because you are really skilled in it and gifted. Thanks for the book :)