Monday, April 3, 2017

B thru G for the A to Z




B =  Bear Stew 
Yum! In Alaska, if you kill it, you better be ready to eat it! Have you ever had Bear Stew? It's one of Steven Quaid's favorite meals.
Here's a recipe for Bear Stew, just in case...



C = Crena – the décolletage of the ass!
I used the word in my book and was told no one would know what it was. So, for your edification. Now you know! 😊


D – Dredging
Dredges were used to remove the gold from the land. It’s a bit like strip mining. The results ended up the same. Land

scared by the machines. Several dredges are still visible today. One scene in the book brought to mind the remains of a dredging site I saw in Ester, AK once. A large gravel pit. 

The photograph is of the Jake Wade Dredge


E – Exsanguination is the process of blood loss, to a degree sufficient to cause death. It also depends on which vein/artery that is cut as to the lengh of time it takes. One study says that to cut both wrist's it would take 8 minutes.
This is the Snowman's favorite method of delivering death.



F – Formaldehyde is a colorless, flammable gas at room temperature and has a strong odor. Used as a chemical in embalming fluid, it is highly toxic!
Stone uses it to keep red the color of his blood paint.




G – Girdwood enjoys its status as Alaska’s only true resort town. Just 30 minutes south of Anchorage, Girdwood is home to the luxurious Alyeska Resort.
Stone has a cabin nearby and his idea of an artistic reveal leaves nothing to the imagination.




Introducing Stowy Jenkins, aka
(also known as) Stone

the Snowman!



Coming Soon

It takes a true artist to pursue his victims in the art of seduction, and Stowy Jenkins is no exception, especially with blood as his medium.
Excerpt:

Little by little he added the formaldehyde to the viscous mixture, stirring it vigorously. Dipping his brush into its freshness, he began painting. Swirls, splattered droplets, and elongated dribbles soon filled the canvas. Waves of joy rose up from his deepest being, and a sense of satisfaction overwhelmed him. This creation will be my best. The addition of formaldehyde will keep the red as vibrant as the fountain of blood gushing from my Maggie May.
A maniacal laugh escaped his lips. “Rouge d’amour will be the star of my masterpiece! It will leave art lovers and critics breathless.”

Have you ever eaten bear stew?
Did you know what crena meant? Would you have looked it up? 
Is dredging to get to the gold, fair?
And as for exsanguination, would you prefer the slow or fast approach?
Formaldehyde, what can you say but yuck?
And Girdwood, a lovely place, have you ever been?



















38 comments:

Nilanjana Bose said...

This is such a neat idea to post weekly, Yolanda. And I had no idea about crena :) but one can often get the meaning of a word from the context. If I am engrossed in the story I dislike the disruption of a dictionary, if it's putdownable then I might look it up. Most times I'd just read on and look it up later. The closest I've got to Alaska is through your books :)

Tasha Duncan-Drake said...

I had no idea anyone ate bear!
I had not heard of crena before - now I know a new word. Let's see how long I can remember it.
Dredging sounds absolutely terrible for the environment if it is the same a strip mining.
Hmmm, exanguination - I think I would prefer the vampire approach ;)
Formaldehyde - well I suppose that's one way to keep your colours vivid!
I have never been to Girdwood - if Stone was around I think I'd give it a miss too ;)
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings - Shapeshifters and Werewolves

Denise Covey said...

Whoa! Most of this is new to me. Girdwood sounds like a place I'd like to visit...in summer. Great idea to post once a week and cover it all! :-) Now I see shapeshifters and werewolves above. Looks like I need to visit Tasha.

Nicola said...

That stew looks delicious! I'll take some of that please :) Have a great week, Yolanda.

Keith's Ramblings said...

I leave your site far more informed than I was when I arrived! Bear stew...I wonder.

Today in Amble Bay!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Don't think I'd want to deal with Formaldehyde.

Christine Rains said...

I would try the bear stew, but I hope I'm never put in a situation where I have to kill one! I'd love to go to Girdwood or any part of Alaska one day. :)

cleemckenzie said...

It's breakfast time here. Bear stew just doesn't cut it and exsanguination is kind of hard, too. Great idea to bunch up your posts like this.

Pat Hatt said...

Formaldehyde would sure be something we'd avoid using.

Denise said...

I'm familiar with three out of six. A medical education should give you a clue to two of them.

Tamara Narayan said...

I hope I never have to eat bear stew. I hate the thought of killing things with fur. Never heard of crena. Now that image will be stuck in my head-thanks. Formaldehyde, strangely enough, is also found in some vaccines (as a preservative, I think). Eight minutes to exsanguinate out the wrists? That seems both fast and incredibly slow at the same time.

Yolanda Renée said...

When I was younger, and even sometimes today, I developed a vocabulary by through reading, and yes, sometimes you get the context while reading, but I always loved learning new words. I find it odd that it isn't the case now. It's all about speed. But with the internet a dictionary is so much closer. Things have changed. Guess it's time I do! :)

Yolanda Renée said...

In Alaska, and many places they eat everything that moves! It's survival! Truly, to ship in food and get them to the outlying areas makes food quite expensive! Catch it and eat it.
LOL - vampires are probably loved for that reason. Just wish I understood my own fascination! :)

Yolanda Renée said...

Girdwood is beautiful in the summer, and I got to see it then. Love werewolves and shape shifters! Off to visit too. Damn, it's only the third day and I'm already behind! :)

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Nicola, it is good. Wish I had some now. I'm hungry! :)

Yolanda Renée said...

Gotta try it! Why not?
Thanks, Keith!

Yolanda Renée said...

Nope, me either! Yuck!

Yolanda Renée said...

It does seem harsh to kill one. Especially when they look so non-threatening, at least in pictures, up close and personal, it's a very different story. Huge, scary creatures with big teeth and sharp claws. Love your versions though! :)

Yolanda Renée said...

Sorry, didn't mean to spoil breakfast for you. :) I thought it would save me time, but I'm behind already! LOL

Yolanda Renée said...

Hate the thought of it, and the smell. OMG!

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Denise, good on you. Thanks, for visiting!

Yolanda Renée said...

It's all about survival in Alaska. Yes, it does, slow and yet with eight minutes to think about what you've done - a way out!

Debbie D. said...

A week's worth of posts in one! Wish I had thought of that. Only day three and I'm completely overwhelmed. Yikes! I've never eaten bear stew - must be tough, no? Thanks for expanding my vocabulary. 'Crena' is a new word for me but I would have most certainly looked it up.
Cheers!
Debbie @ THE DOGLADY'S DEN
Latest Post: CHERRY HILL PARK: First love is the hardest!

Michelle Wallace said...

Have you ever eaten bear stew? Not that I know of. Some places serve food that doesn't always look like what it's supposed to be...
Did you know what crena meant? No. Would you have looked it up? Definitely. I love visiting Dr. Google.
Is dredging to get to the gold, fair? It damages the land, right?
And as for exsanguination, would you prefer the slow or fast approach? Neither approach! LOL
Formaldehyde, what can you say but yuck? Yep. Though yuck may be mild...we need a stronger word.
And Girdwood, a lovely place, have you ever been? Nope. An artistic reveal amidst the beauty of Girdwood? *shivers*

Tamara said...

Bear stew, are you kidding me? No idea about crena. And as far as Dredging goes to me that's coating a piece of meat (NOT bear, though) with eggwash and breadcrumbs...

Yolanda Renée said...

Nope, not kidding!
LOL great analogy!

Yolanda Renée said...

Now, that's an answer to each question!
So true about the mystery meat! LOL
Thanks, Michelle!

Yolanda Renée said...

LOL, Debbie, I'm overwhelmed too, and I took a shortcut. No, all depends on the cook, as with most recipes! :)

Nick Wilford said...

You're ahead of the game. Crena is a good one - I'm glad a word for such a thing exists!

Maurice Mitchell said...

That is a chilling story Yolanda and I'm not buying any of his paintings. Although it does remind me of the bizarre art style of Maplethorpe so it might actually sell. Thanks for the word list!

Yolanda Renée said...

I thought it was a great word. Ahead of the game and still behind!

Yolanda Renée said...

Maplethorpe was bizarre for his time, but I think a few others have surpassed him. I like his work though, very unique! Thanks, Maurice!

Rebecca M. Douglass said...

Got me--never heard of crena! Not sure if I'd have looked it up--only if I couldn't get some idea of the meaning from context, and it left me confused.

Haven't eaten bear stew, but I'd be happy to in the right circumstances.

I like your week-at-a-time approach. I'm not so sure about the book--I don't do horror :) But it looks well done, anyway.
Rebecca www.ninjalibrarian.com

Stephen Tremp said...

Renee, great idea to group a week's worth of posts. Brilliant! Like Rebecca, I've never heard of crena. You can learn so much during the A to Z Challenge.

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Rebecca! Horror doesn't fit all, but I've always enjoyed Stephen King. Although I can't do zombies, I even tackled that once, on a dare. :)

Yolanda Renée said...

That's what makes it so much fun, hard work though! Not the posting itself, but the visiting and commenting - a time sucker! :)

Natalie said...

Interesting excerpt! Also, I've eaten a lot of different exotic meats but I don't think I've ever had bear. Is it chewy?

http://nataliewestgate.com/2017/04/descent-secret-diary-of-a-serial-killer

Sophie Duncan said...

I have never had bear stew! I suppose in the wilderness, nothing nutritious can go to waste :)
Sophie
Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles - Dragon Diaries