Monday, April 11, 2016

I - INVESTIGATION

I is for INVESTIGATION



At the discovery of a crime, there are procedures followed by the first officer on the scene to secure the area. In Murder & Obsession, Helen Gabble, is that officer.



Murder & Obsession

Excerpt:

Standing close to the fire, Detective Helen Gabble could not get warm, even with the proper winter gear she’d had brought in with the forensics team. A partial tent in the front of Steven’s cabin served as murder central while the crime scene investigators finished their job. The shelter had no walls, and despite a canvas roof, the snow swirled in the breeze. The burn barrel ate the wood and provided little to no warmth in the openness. After forensics gave her the all clear, the detective would move her team inside, but right now their operations headquarters resided in the elements. Some of her men waited in warm vehicles, and for a few minutes, she had too, but huddling against the cold didn’t feel right, so she directed the investigation outside. She kept things moving.
Ginger Diehl finally approached her at three in the morning. “We’re done; we’ve collected all the evidence from the bedroom and the grave out back. We’ve swept the place for fingerprints and taken photographs. You have full access now. The bedroom is off-limits, but you can use the downstairs. I just need your signature. Is there something else you need?”
“The body?”

“Sorry. No luck there. I had men on the other side of the bank. We found more bear tracks, but the water is moving too fast. She could be miles downstream. They’ll search when daylight hits.”

*****



Please add my books to your Goodreads Account.
Murder, Madness & Love
Memories of Murder
Murder & Obsession



And try for a free copy of 
Murder & Obsession on Amazon.
Actually all the books in the trilogy are available to be won at Amazon. Good luck!
(just click the links)


Please support my Thunderclap!

Remember every comment during the A to Z will be an entry to win a 
paperback copy of the trilogy!
(signed if I can send by mail)



45 comments:

Nilanjana Bose said...

I'm kind of hoping still she's not a 'body'...I wonder if the investigation procedure is standardised or specifically varies from country to country?

Unusual word choice for I, and very cleverly dovetails into your theme. Neat!

Nilanjana.
Madly-in-Verse

Tiger said...

Investigation is natural to everyone and we all love crime thrillers and bringing the bad guys to task.
THanks for sharing.

www.consumerpsyche.com

The Cynical Sailor said...

Interesting excerpt. Makes me want to know where the body is :-)

Cheers - Ellen | http://thecynicalsailor.blogspot.com/2016/04/i-is-for-island-nancy-drew-investigates.html

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good luck finding that body...

Yolanda Renée said...

I doubt it's standard, but I think it will be one day. Thanks, Nila!

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Tiger, Thanks for visiting!

Pat Hatt said...

Gonna take some doing to find that body

Yolanda Renée said...

I'm glad, hopefully we find out. :) Hi, Cynical!

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Alex, it will mean quite a hunt.

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Pat, we'll see! :)

Tamara Narayan said...

Police procedures are so fascinating. Looks like you did a lot of research.

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi Tamara, I try to, and yet this year I missed a very important point. Thanks goodness I was able to go back and correct it. I think research is a priceless tool, and with the internet, there's no excuse to get it wrong. :)

Misha Gerrick said...

Police procedures interest me, although I think it would take weeks to do proper research of it. :-)

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Misha, it does, but I was also lucky to know an officer or two, and a person who works in the morgue. Makes it so much easier. :)

cleemckenzie said...

I'm trying imagine being on an investigation like this and freezing outside in a tent. I'm afraid I'd hurry to find the evidence and overlook key clues.

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Lee, I know what you mean! :)

Jeffrey Scott said...

That's interesting that different 'teams' have to wait their turn to investigate a murder scene. I suppose it makes sense so different departments are not stepping on each others toes.

Unknown said...

Goodness Yolanda. I am reading this and two things went through my mind. One, no one does Mystery better than you and two, it must have taken a lot of research to get these facts. Impressive!!

Yolanda Renée said...

Helen is lead detective but the experts have to do their job of collecting evidence. She's observed and will get the results of their work, but in the wilderness there's not a lot of places to wait if the only cabin is considered the crime scene.

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, akhy, that means the world. I love mysteries so it's actually a pleasure to research and learn.

Christine Rains said...

I finished your book yesterday and loved it! :)

Helen Hollick said...

Really interesting post, thanks for sharing with us – enjoy the A-Zeding!
from @HelenHollick
A-Z Let Us Talk Of Many Things (I interview some very interesting fictional characters!)
Website
Like Me On Facebook
Find Me On An Amazon Near You

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Christine, thank you, you've made my day! Snoopy Happy Dance! Oh yeah!

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Helen, nice to meet you via the A to Z! Thanks for stopping by!

Nissa Annakindt said...

Very nice excerpt from your book. I don't read much mystery these days, but always like to see samples from the work of a writer who knows what she is doing. Too many writers these days mean well and have an idea or two but don't have the knowledge to do a good job of it yet.

Nissa
http://myantimatterlife.wordpress.com

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Nissa, it it's easy to think we know the routine, so many crime shows, but talking to real officers helps make things more real, even in fiction you want it to be believable.
Thanks for stopping by!

Nicola said...

I've started reading it!! Finished reading Bones of Avalon by Phil Rickman last night and couldn't wait to start Murder and Obsession.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Crime doesn't conveniently happen when it's daylight and warm. Although I'd be frozen solid at that point.

{S.T.U.F.F.} said...

Nice excerpt! Definitely has me wanting more.

S.T.U.F.F.

{S.T.U.F.F.} said...

Nice excerpt! Definitely has me wanting more.

S.T.U.F.F.

Yolanda Renée said...

Too cool, thank you Nicole, I'm thrilled! Today is the day for happy dances!

Yolanda Renée said...

LOL, me too, but crime happens in the most uncomfortable places.

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, S.T.U.F.F. Thanks!

Laura @Simply Me, The way I see it said...

Mystery is my thing! I am going to have to check out your books!

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Laura, I sure hope you do. :)

Libby said...

Ugh! I would die in the cold. I could never be a detective.

Ella said...

You always grab my attention! I am going to have a mystery binge, after my art one~ Your books included, since now I am missing Alaska ;D

J.H. Moncrieff said...

Crime scene investigation is so fascinating. I really wanted to be a forensic psychologist in high school, delving into the minds of murderers.

Michelle Wallace said...

Where is the body? I suppose everybody wants to know.

Yolanda Renée said...

It does take dedication, doesn't it. Hi, Libby!

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Ella, I'd love to know what you think!

Yolanda Renée said...

It's an interesting career choice. Hi, J. H.!

Yolanda Renée said...

Yes, I think it's a question that needs answered. Hi, Michelle!

umut said...

bitlis
tunceli
ardahan
bingöl
muş
P70O

Kadir said...

salt likit
salt likit
dr mood likit
big boss likit
dl likit
dark likit
RYC