Tuesday, April 19, 2016

P – PROVIDENIYA

P IS FOR PROVIDENIYA



Provideniya, a Russian city on the Bering Sea, is sometimes referred to as the Doorway to the Arctic is a popular sight for tourists that fly in from Nome and Anchorage.


Yes, you can fly to Russia from Nome, or Anchorage. As long as you file all the right papers!

I use the close proximity of this airfield in Murder & Obsession.


Murder & Obsession
Excerpt:

“Well, I guess I should quantify my statement: we’ve traced one of the men who killed Sarah to Russia. The authorities called us about an hour ago. His plane is sitting at the Provideniya airport. The flight originated in Anchorage. We’re working with the Russian authorities to track him down. When they give permission, I’ll be flying there to aid in the investigation. Right now the Russian Federation and the United States aren’t exactly bosom buddies. We’re working with the State Department, but I’m also trying to pull in favors with friendly counterparts in Russia,” Agent Lopez said.
*****



Please add my books to your Goodreads Account.
Murder, Madness & Love
Memories of Murder
Murder & Obsession


And try for a free copy of 
Murder & Obsession on Amazon.
(just click the links)


Please support my Thunderclap!

Remember every comment during the A to Z will be an entry to win a 
paperback copy of the trilogy!
(signed if I can send by mail)




29 comments:

Nilanjana Bose said...

Oh dear,that complicates things further for Stephen! Poor guy.

Alaska looks lots prettier in the photos than the Russian side. That is probably a non-PC thing to say, but I'll stick with it for the time being :)

Have a great week, Yolanda!

Sophie Duncan said...

I'd never thought of flying from Alaska to Russia, especially not as as tourist hop - adds a new obstacle to the plot!
Sophie
Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles | Wittegen Press | FB3X

Murees Dupè said...

I just learned something new. I didn't think one can fly to Russia from Alaska. Sounds like a great scene. Wishing you the best.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sneaky way to slip out of the country.

Unknown said...

I like you went over to the teritory I'm a little more familiar with than Alaska :)

cleemckenzie said...

Knowing the details of your setting makes a huge difference in the story. This is a perfect one for yours. Very exciting story, Yolanda.

Pat Hatt said...

Pulling some strings can be a sneaky way. Bet there is tons of paperwork in real life.

Sukanya said...

That's quite intriguing- I'm going to add your book to my reading list!
Visiting as part of the A to Z Challenge!

Deborah Drucker said...

It has interested me that Alaska is so close to Russia. This is a interesting part of your story as well.

Yolanda Renée said...

Thank you, Sukanya, I hope you enjoy them. Let me know that you think. yolandarenee@hotmail.com

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Deborah, it's a harsh Sea, the Bering Sea that separates them. But close, oh yeah!

Yolanda Renée said...

You are so right, lots of paperwork! And some interesting folks who greet you when you land. :)

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Lee, appreciate your kind words. I'm kind of prejudiced regarding the setting, so it's wonderful that others are interested too.

Yolanda Renée said...

Have you visited Provideniya? I enjoyed researching it and other sites in Russia.

Yolanda Renée said...

As long as you don't get caught. :)

Yolanda Renée said...

Tourist visits, but lots of paper work to be filed for permission first. Hi, Murees!

Yolanda Renée said...

It's a process, but it's done - it did. I loved discovering that fact. Worked well for the story! Hi, Sophie!

Jo said...

A friend of mine has just crossed the Russias by train. She is a travel writer. Last I heard she was in the Gobi desert, not sure which way she will be going next. Maybe from Providenya to Nome or Anchorage.

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi Nila, It was probably break-up that day. Not a great time. No snow, and little color before spring blooms. :) Stephen will do fine, I hope. ;)

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Jo, sounds like a great trip! You'll have to share her stories with us when she publishes!

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

One of my stories opens in the Soviet Union with many scenes in Moscow. Appealing culture, it's hard not to write at least one novel about the country. I'd love to visit.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

One of my stories opens in the Soviet Union with many scenes in Moscow. Appealing culture, it's hard not to write at least one novel about the country. I'd love to visit.

Jeffrey Scott said...

I sometimes forget how close Russia actually is to the United States, when you count the distance between Russia and Alaska.

Michelle Wallace said...

Agent Lopez seems quite connected.
No snow in this photo? I ALWAYS equate Alaska with snowy/icy weather.
Writer In Transit

Liesbet said...

I always wondered how easy, or difficult, it would be to get from one country in the next, while they are so close together there! I heard before of people trying to swim the distance!

Liesbet @ Roaming About – A Life Less Ordinary

Yolanda Renée said...

I'd love to visit too, but the internet allows it from a distance, which helps! And Jeljka is providing great information in her A to Z posts.

Yolanda Renée said...

Very close, hi, Jeffrey!

Yolanda Renée said...

This isn't Alaska but Russia in the summer!

Yolanda Renée said...

I've not heard of swimmers in the Bering Sea, I'll have to look that one up!