Saturday, April 16, 2016

N - NOME

IS FOR NOME


Nome, one of the best known cities in Alaska. Nome is the city where a diphtheria epidemic required a relay of dog sled teams to deliver the life saving serum in 1925. In memory of the event, a race is run every year in March called the Iditarod.

In Murder & Obsession, Nome is one of the places Detective Steven Quaid visits in his pursuit of the criminals.


Murder & Obsession
Excerpt:
Their plane came in for a landing at the Nome Airport on a clear, bright, but cold, day.
The airport manager met them on the tarmac. “Detective Quaid, so good to make your acquaintance. I’ve been reading about you in the papers.” He shook each man’s hand. “Mr. Thomas, Mr. Summers. I have coffee and donuts waiting in my office.” He pointed to the nearest hanger. “You picked a great day to visit. The winds have been ferocious this last week; today it’s deceptively mild.”
Steven grinned. “Nonresidents would never call these winds mild. Thank you for taking the time to meet with us, Mr. Thane.” Rand Thane, a portly man, had a pleasing personality. His bright smile and welcoming attitude worked for the man in charge.
“Rand, please. My condolences, Detective. I hope you find the bastard soon.”
Before Steven could answer, a gunshot sent the men to the tarmac. “Anyone hit?” Steven said, as he drew his gun and surveyed the area in a search of the shooter.
“No,” they chorused.
“Rand, you okay?”
“I might have to change my pants, but I wasn’t hit,” Rand said.
Shouts came from behind the hangar. With guns drawn, the men ran in search of the shooter.
*****



Please add my books to your Goodreads Account.
Murder, Madness & Love
Memories of Murder
Murder & Obsession


And try for a free copy of 
Murder & Obsession on Amazon.
(just click the links)



Please support my Thunderclap!

Remember every comment during the A to Z will be an entry to win a 
paperback copy of the trilogy!
(signed if I can send by mail)


35 comments:

kaykuala said...

They crossed the Yukon River
And found the Bonanza Gold
Below that old white mountain
Just a little south-east of Nome

It reminds Hank of the lyrics of the hit song 'North to Alaska' by Johnny Horton featured in a 1960 movie starring John Wayne. Thanks for the memory Yolanda!

Hank

Pat Hatt said...

That is one I knew, at least what the race was called.

The Happy Whisk said...

Might have to change is pants. Yikes.

cleemckenzie said...

This is one fantastic race. I heard about the terrible accident on this last one.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I know about the Iditarod! Author Terry Lynn Johnson wrote about it and has been involved in the race.

Yolanda Renée said...

North to Alaska! Oh yeah, love the song and the movie. Thanks, Hank, for the reminder!

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Pat! I watch it every year.

Yolanda Renée said...

Gunshots frighten some folks. Others just take it as part of the background noise, especially in this day and age. :(
Hi, Ivy!

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Lee, me too, and the guy had the nerve after being caught to say it was an accident! They say he targeted the mushers and the dogs! Crazy!

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Alex, I'll look him up. Love reading about Alaska.

The Happy Whisk said...

I live where we have lots of shots but they are for deer. So here it is background noise, but, if it were shooting at humans, I might need a new pair of pants as well.

Just put a test bake in the oven. Banana Crumble Cake.

Jo said...

I knew about the Iditarod, but not it's origins. Always seems such a harsh race although the dogs seem to love running.

Yolanda Renée said...

The dogs do, and they have very strict rules in place to insure they aren't mistreated. I think pack pressure is as bad if not worse than peer pressure, some of them have died trying to achieve the goal.

Yolanda Renée said...

Yum, I love anything banana! We hear a gun/rifle shot every now and then too. I still jump and always wonder where did it come from, is everyone all right. Don't like it especially when hunting season is over.

Pam Lazos said...

Despite its harshness, the Iditarod is an amazing bonding experience between humans and their dogs.

Susan Kane said...

Loved the scene created.
Did not know the vaccine was for diphtheria... It ravaged the midwest, and everywhere else. My grandmother's first child, Bobby, was 2 yr. old when he died. It was a gruesome death. She never recovered, her hair turned gray and then white. Breast milk for an infant girl dried up.

Yolanda Renée said...

It is, hi, Pamela! Thanks for visiting!

Yolanda Renée said...

Yes, a horrible disease. Hi, Susan!

Jade C. Jamison said...

I love it! I'd definitely have to check my pants in an event like that! ;)

Unknown said...

Defending the Pen has been included in our A Sunday Drive for this week. Be assured that we hope this helps to point even more new visitors in your direction.

http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2016/04/a-sunday-drive_17.html

Nilanjana Bose said...

Back with bells on to catch up on your posts and this one didn't disappoint - a shoot out at an airport!

Nilanjana
Madly-in-Verse

Yolanda Renée said...

You are one busy lady, thanks for including me in your journey!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thank you Jerry, I'm thrilled to be part of your Sunday Drive posts!

Yolanda Renée said...

LOL, me too Jade!

Deborah Drucker said...

Interesting history. Great to link it with your story. :)

Tamara Narayan said...

That's a fascinating origin for that race. I'd never heard that before.

Tamara Narayan said...

That's a fascinating origin for that race. I'd never heard that before.

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Deborah!

Yolanda Renée said...

I'm thrilled that some of these posts are actual teaching moments. :)

Deborah Weber said...

I had no idea about the origins of the Iditarod - I'm learning so much stuff through your posts. Not the least of which is it might not be a good idea to stand around chatting on a tarmac when there's a criminal to catch.

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Deborah, so true! Glad I made that clear! LOL

Elizabeth said...

I didn't know that is how the Iditarod got started, that's interesting! I like the "deceptively mild" term, sounds like Oklahoma weather :)

I'm catching up on your last few posts today, got behind :(

Rachna Chhabria said...

I am loving the excerpts Yolanda, reading it like a thirsty woman :) Now I am all the more eager to read the book.

Shilpa Garg said...

This made for a fascinating read! Liked the history and the reason for the race! Simply amazing!

Debbie D. said...

Interesting to learn the history of the Iditarod race! Your story is compelling reading as well.