Wednesday, April 13, 2016

K - KNIFE

K is for Bowie Knife


Detective Steven Quaid carries a Bowie Knife while hunting. In Murder & Obsession, he's on a manhunt and his Bowie Knife is his most important weapon, against both man, and beast.

While the history of the creation of the Bowie Knife comes under some scrutiny it is named for Jim Bowie who is said to have commissioned its design by blacksmith James Black. The knife gained notoriety because of the duel Jim Bowie fought, known as the Sandbar Fight. In this battle, Bowie fought several men. He was stabbed, shot, and beaten half to death but managed to win the fight using the large knife. Wikipedia


Murder & Obsession

Excerpt:

He secured his backpack, wishing for more layers between his skin and fierce claws, and with his nine-and-a-half-inch Bowie knife in hand, Steven stood his ground. He attempted to make his appearance larger by setting his feet apart, holding his arms high, and yelling loudly. Unimpressed, the bear ran faster and stopped just inches from Steven. Steven did not hesitate; he stabbed the animal in the neck. Warm blood spurted. He prayed he had severed an artery, but this hungry bear wanted to fight. The animal rose on his hind legs, roared his intent, and then went for his prey. Sharp claws shredded the strap holding Steven’s pack, and the bag went flying over the side of the bluff. Another blow cut through Steven’s jacket like a razor blade, caught the skin, and caused a burning sensation across his flesh. Steven struck again. The knife went deep into the bear’s chestinto a lung. The bear bellowed and brought his other paw down on his attacker’s skull, tearing away hair and flesh, slicing Steven’s head and cheek. The two titans separated




34 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Yikes! Well, at least I found out what happened when Steven came across the bear. That's interesting that Jim Bowie won a fight with a knife, sounds like a scene from a movie.

Rhonda Albom said...

Is this the same knife used in that throat slicing scene in the snow?

Jeffrey Scott said...

And all this time I thought it was called that because David Bowie carried one. Wow, that would be scary to fight a bear, even with a large bowie knife. Great scene.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's not good! Clawed twice by a bear - good chance of dying.

Cherie Reich said...

It sounds like he needs more than just a knife in that scene.

Pat Hatt said...

Never mess with bears, or carry a sword maybe? lol

Unknown said...

Great excerpt. I like your writing style, it is so clear and simple - yet everything what needs to be said is covered. Best regards!

Unknown said...

I supported you on the Thunderclap with FB and Twitter! I'm #37. Good luck getting the rest of the supporters. Don't forget to post on FB and in the FB Thunderclap group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/309681422531552/ (I think there are several more Thunderclap groups on FB too.)

cleemckenzie said...

Chilling scene. I always think about how horrible it would be to stab or be stabbed by anything, but that Bowie knife is wicked and makes stabbing seem even a worse idea.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Sometimes I wonder if a knife wounds is worse than a bullet. It can definitely cover a lot more territory and do far worse damage...

I remember that scene.... Still terrifying....

David Macaulay said...

wow - never knew of the grisly history of the Bowie knife..

Pat Garcia said...

I didn't know the Bowie knife was named after Jim Bowie. Something new I've learned. I also read the review by Feather when it came out and left a comment on her blog. I plan to start reading Murder & Obsession this weekend.

Shalom,
Patricia @ EverythingMustChange

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks Pat, you've made my day. Enjoy. I've always been fascinated by the Bowie knife.

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, David, it does have an interesting history, doesn't it.

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi Michael, I think you're right, but depending on its use, both will kill, and kill quickly!

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Lee, cuts can go as deep as a bullet for sure! But that knife is threatening, isn't it.

Yolanda Renée said...

Lexa, you're an angel. I've applied for entry, and I'll look for more help there, thank you, priceless information. I was wondering if I could find 100 supporters.

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Zeljka, that means a lot!

Yolanda Renée said...

When a bear is angry, you can kill them with a first blow, but they'll fight on. So much damage in those few minutes. Hi, Pat!

Yolanda Renée said...

Yeah, a gun might have helped. Hi, Cherie!

Yolanda Renée said...

He comes close to it. Hi, Alex!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Jeffrey, more than scary.

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Rhonda, no, although that was a hunting knife. I have a similar weapon, wanted to own the weapon I was talking about. Soon to get a Bowie knife too. Sometimes I carry it too far. For my book launch of Murder, Madness & Love, I had all the evidence listed in the book as example for folks to handle, all in evidence bags of course! LOL

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Elizabeth, it does, and I'm sure it's been choreographed for a few.

Sandra Cox said...

Yikes! Great job on the description!

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi Sandra, Thanks!

Ella said...

Wow, that really remind me of a lot of stories I have heard about the Bush. You really brought it~ Nice job!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Ella!

Narayana Rao K.V.S.S. said...

Description of fight with a bear using a knife. Interesting. It also good that some of bloggers of A to Z including you are providing thumbnails of posts of various bloggers in A to Z. Good publicity to A to Z posts. All the best. Narayana Rao.

JazzFeathers said...

Oh, so that's how that knife is called.
I have seen it many times, but didn't know it had a psecific name, not to mention a story behind it.
Thanks for sharing :-)

@JazzFeathers
The Old Shelter - Jazz Age Jazz

Tamara Narayan said...

Yikes, that is one wicked looking knife, but I wouldn't want to go against a grizzly bear, no matter what weapon I had at my disposal.

Yolanda Renée said...

Thank you Narayana! It was a great scene to write!

Yolanda Renée said...

It's a beautiful knife if knives can be labeled so. :)

Yolanda Renée said...

At least he had a weapon! :)