Tuesday, April 12, 2016

J - JUGGERNAUT

J is for JUGGERNAUT

Juggernaut: an overwhelming or unstoppable force, especially one that destroys or that demands complete self-sacrifice.


In Murder & Obsession, Detective Steven Quaid comes up against a juggernaut, an unstoppable force that demands complete self-sacrifice.




Murder & Obsession

Blurb:

Steven spoke, his anguish crystal clear with each word. “Gladys told them where to find Sarah’s body?”
Helen sighed but nodded.
“Well.” His eyes were dark, his face rigid, and his demeanor as cold as Arctic stone.
“The Bering Sea. The captain’s called the FBI.”
                                                     **
Steven stared out the window, but he did not see the street, the cars, or the people passing by. He saw Sarah, her beautiful green eyes no longer held the light. Her skin had no luster―life had disappeared from her body long before they pronounced death. He imagined her floating in the unforgiving cold of the Bering Sea, sinking into the black depths, her body thrashed by the unrelenting waves―always and forever.
Steven had never experienced such strong negative, hate-filled emotions. He didn’t like it, but he’d go with it if it changed the blackness surrounding him into light again. Vengeance, retribution, simmering hatred was much easier to understand and deal with than grief. His psyche couldn’t tolerate the overwhelming sense of emptiness. The loss was too much. He’d survive on planning his revenge, after that, he wanted nothing, saw nothing except an abyss. Is this what grief is? Floating in a starless void, with only memories of Sarah and all the what if’s replaying to unfulfillable conclusions.




Please add my books to your Goodreads Account.
Murder, Madness & Love
Memories of Murder
Murder & Obsession

And try for a free copy of 
Murder & Obsession on Amazon.
(just click the links)


Please support my Thunderclap!

Remember every comment during the A to Z will be an entry to win a 
paperback copy of the trilogy!
(signed if I can send by mail)


54 comments:

Unknown said...

Poor Steven, what an awful thing to face. We should share our pitcher of mojitos with him *slides over another glass*.

The AtoZ of EOS
#TeamDamyanti

Denise Covey said...

Yeah, I'm with Samantha! Let's get a few pitchers of mojitos ready! Any excuse! Great idea for the A-Z Yolanda, as are all your posts. Here's to a very successful promo!

Denise :-)

Nilanjana Bose said...

Is this what grief is? Floating in a starless void, with only memories of Sarah and all the what if’s replaying to unfulfillable conclusions.

Haunting! Brilliantly crafted.

Nilanjana
Madly-in-Verse

Deborah Drucker said...

The suspense is building. Is she really dead? I hope it is a case of mistake identity.

Kalpana said...

Did you know that Juggernaut is a word of Indian origin? It comes from Jagganath - which is a temple in Puri where they take out a procession once a year - a procession lead by an enormous chariot. I'm really enjoying these snippets from Murder and Obsession.

J.H. Moncrieff said...

Great chapter! That word isn't used enough in fiction, if you ask me.

Good choice for J.

The Cynical Sailor said...

Juggernaut is a great word. I wonder what its origins are? Another great excerpt! Cheers - Ellen | http://thecynicalsailor.blogspot.com/2016/04/j-is-for-jetty-nancy-drew-investigates.html

Sally said...

Perhaps he can channel is emotions into finding her killer.

Penelope Potty Snooper said...

Quite a story!

Unknown said...

Great excerpt again Yolanda! And I've learned a new word: Juggernaut :)

Tasha Duncan-Drake said...

Such despair, poor Steven. Beautifully written.
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

Pat Hatt said...

Not sure I'd ever want to come up against such a force

cleemckenzie said...

I just like saying that word out loud. Enjoyed reading your excerpt today!

Tamara Narayan said...

Oh dear. This sounds terrible for Steven, but yes, you must torture your characters.

Tamara Narayan said...

Oh dear. This sounds terrible for Steven, but yes, you must torture your characters.

Jeffrey Scott said...

Large bodies of water terrify me. I don't have a paralysing fear, I can get on a boat or fly over the water, but still my greatest fear is dying in the water. Even if that's not what happened to Sarah, this scene still chills me.

Pat Garcia said...

I am reading your snippets and will definitely start on the book before the A to Z Blog Challenge is over. I find it sad though that Sarah died. I need to read it to see how Steven copes with this.
Shalom,
Patricia @ EverythingMustChange

Guilie Castillo said...

Oh, I feel for him. What a tough story to write, Yolanda... Grief is, indeed, a juggernaut. I hope he finds solace in closure.

Thanks for the visit over at Life In Dogs yesterday! Loved your comment :)

Cherie Reich said...

What a powerful excerpt, Yolanda.

Jo said...

Never had a mojito, maybe I should try them. Sounds like they would be useful to cope with grief.

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Sam, I could use one of those too, thank! :)

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Denise, cheers!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thank you, Nila!

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Deborah, thanks!

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Kalpanaa, No, I didn't. Thank you for the information!

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, J. H. I like it too!

Yolanda Renée said...

Kalpana, answers that above. Thanks, Ellen!

Yolanda Renée said...

Yes, I think that's his goal!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks for the visit, bellybytes!

Yolanda Renée said...

It's a good word, Zeljka!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Tasha!

Yolanda Renée said...

I have, a few times! LOL

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Lee!

Yolanda Renée said...

It's all for the story! :)

Yolanda Renée said...

Me too, Jeffrey, I like looking at it from the shore, but wouldn't want to be on it!

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Pat, I hope you find the time! Thanks!

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Guilie, it definitely is! Love your posts!

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Cherie, thanks!

Yolanda Renée said...

Me, neither, Jo, would love to try one, or two! :)

Ann Bennett said...

Oh man, I feel the pressure. If I say the right thing, I could be part of a story. Oh no, I think I'm that bystander that just got whacked. Alas my literary career was ever so brief. But it was so.
Visiting from A to Z. I am so impressed with your work and blog.

Stephen Tremp said...

Yolanda, I like that you have a Steven in the story. My interest is piqued, and this is a word I use like never. Piqued, I say.

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Ann, no worries, no whacking done today! LOL

Yolanda Renée said...

I've always liked the name Steven. Thanks for stopping by and being piqued! LOL

Elizabeth said...

That is wonderfully written! An good portrayal of grief.

Vidya Sury said...

Sigh. What a situation. As a child, I imagined a juggernaut to be a missile on wheels :) Of course, I grew up eventually.

I like the name Steven!

Michelle Wallace said...

I love the word Juggernaut! It sounds and feels formidable...
Writer In Transit

JoeyfullyStated said...

I, too, would like a mojito or three...

Debbie D. said...

"Juggernaut" is a word you don't see too often. Stephen's emotional pain is palpable

Yolanda Renée said...

Thank you, Elizabeth. Your words mean the world.

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Vidya, you had an imagination, thank goodness you didn't lose the creativity with maturity! :)

Yolanda Renée said...

I like it too! :)

Yolanda Renée said...

Ditto, pass the mojito's!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Debbie, you don't. And I was praying I'd gotten that across.

Anaya said...

jacresults.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in 2016, Maharashtra Result, result.nic.in, exam result 2017, Raj Results, HP Board Results, board results 2016, expected date 2016