Wednesday, October 21, 2020

WEP Grave Mistake - Cleopatra's Curse


Photo by @rw.studios on Unsplash

Cleopatra’s Curse

Have you ever seen a beautiful young woman with a man that can only be described as ‘toadyish’? He’s at least twenty years older than her, potbelly, short, and mostly balding. She’s a towering model type: perfect body, perfect skin, just exquisite. You wonder, why, how, what?

Well, I’ll tell you. It’s all about the money. What else?

I married a very wealthy man—me, a girl raised in a trailer park who made a living as a waitress and dancer. People even referred to me as white trash, and yet, I made it to the top. And I mean the very top. Gold everywhere. Anything and everything I‘ve ever wanted and more, even acceptance. Now people want to know me, want to be invited to my parties. Hell, they clamor just to be in my presence or merely the same room.

My husband, as I said, is filthy rich, and yes, he bought me. But he also put a diamond ring on my hand and promised me that the world would bow at my feet. He kept his promise, and I’ve kept mine.

I take his abuse. It’s my only job. Make the man happy in the sack, anytime, anywhere, and anyway, he desires it. It was our agreement. I live in the lap of luxury and have people at my every command. Nothing I want is off-limits. I am fulfilled! I am rich, and his temper tantrums don’t last long, neither do the bruises.

You say why? I say, why not? Most of my life was hell: going to bed hungry, various uncles taking advantage at all ages. I was considered a whore before the age of thirteen. The few men I did learn to trust proved to be liars, but now I have a signed contract. Yep, got it on paper, all of it. And if he breaks any of the rules, he pays me a ten-million-dollar settlement.

It took a while, but I soon realized that most men are pigs. All they think about is getting the child, girl, or woman into their bed. And most will take advantage given just half a chance. And some will do it without any invitation or a so sorry immediately on their lips. Liars, users, rutting animals, the whole species!

So why shouldn’t I sell my soul for the best things in life? I couldn’t have gotten them any other way. This has worked for me for the last twenty years. But I will admit that I’m getting bored, and his violence comes much more often and without the usual financial reward. He’s been slipping but only to the point where he hasn’t broken the contract. I think it’s time to say sayonara!

We’re planning a Halloween cruise, so maybe the bastard will fall overboard and drown, leaving me a rich widow? All it will take is a little planning…

*****

Okay, so I figured the bastard wrong, the cheater. He’s not only broken our contract, but he’s also done me in. I can’t collect that cool ten million I was guaranteed because they don’t have lawyers on the bottom at the ocean, my new abode.

Hubby told the world that I fell overboard. Nice. But on Halloween night, the same night I planned his demise, he was a step ahead. I supposedly slipped on a wet deck during a masquerade party and went overboard in my beautiful designer Cleopatra costume, never to resurface again.

Dozens of men jumped into the ocean to find me but failed because, at that time, I was unconscious in the closet of our bedroom. When everyone finally retired, and the police reports were filed, my sweet, generous husband simply dumped me overboard with my feet solidly encased in cement. Yes, I was conscious, but my screams were muted by the gag in my mouth.

I cursed the bastard with each bubble that left my lungs as I tried my best to hold my breath. I did well until the cement my feet were encased in hit the sandy bottom, then in an instant, the air was replaced with seawater.

 

Exactly One Year Later

*****

Detective White carefully made his way into the Tower penthouse. The place was covered in water, sand, seaweed, dead fish, and seashells. If he hadn’t known better, he’d have sworn the site was located on the bottom at the ocean.

“Well, Derek, what can you tell me?” Detective White asked the coroner as he stared down at the two bodies lying side by side in the king-size bed.

“They drowned. No doubt about it. But the why and how, your guess is as good as mine.”

“You sure it’s ocean water, doc? I mean, we’re in a high rise. The doorman said no deliveries were made today or this week. And he saw these two an hour ago, alive and well.”

“Positive. Their lungs are filled with seawater.” He pushed down on the man’s chest, and deep green water seeped out. “I’ve tested it. It’s seawater. Look at the fish, sand, and seaweed. Whoever crafted this murder wanted to make a statement.”

“Yeah, but did they leave any clues?”

“Just the remnants of lipstick on his face. It’s clearly not the same color this young lady is wearing. Maybe that unique color will tell you the dame that wanted this man dead.”

Detective White laughed as he moved to the chaise across the room. A sick sound that had the coroner looking at him oddly. “The only woman I can think of who’d want him dead drowned a year ago. His wife, remember, she went overboard during a Halloween party on his yacht last year. She was wearing a Cleopatra costume.” He held up the wet costume he found lying on the chaise. “I think she came back for a change of clothes and revenge…”

995 Words

Yolanda Renée © 2020

*****

***


52 comments:

Denise Covey said...

Well, what a great tease for a ghost story. Revenge all right. Love the wet Cleopatra dress clue. No Happy Halloween for this guy. A great read, Yolanda!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Buying love is a killer.

Elephant's Child said...

I love this. And karma is a cold bitch, but effective. So very effective.
Hooray for a detective who knows his stuff as well.

Sanhita Mukherjee said...

Well crafted.
Does the quotation marks have been jumbled here - He pushed down on the man’s chest, and deep green water seeped out. “I’ve tested it. It’s seawater. “Look at the fish, sand, and seaweed. Whoever crafted this murder wanted to make a statement.”?

Natalie Aguirre said...

Great story. I like that you didn't end with the wife's death.

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,
Another magnificent story by you. I just knew that some way or another she was going to get her revenge, but I didn't know how. Engaging and well-written.
Shalom aleichem
Pat

Toi Thomas said...

No one really wins in murder but at least she got some payback. Wonder if they will all see each other in the afterlife? Awkward! LOL. You always have a knack for spooky and never cease to entertain.

Bernadette said...

Ooo. Creepy and gripping. Loved it till the very end!

cleemckenzie said...

Ha! Very clever. I loved that justice was served up with humor and sea water!

Nick Wilford said...

She might not have got the money, but she definitely got revenge. Nicely done!

Jemi Fraser said...

Well, that took so many wild turns!! Love it! A change of clothes indeed!

N. R. Williams said...

Loved it, Yolanda. A little revenge.
Nancy

Ornery Owl of Naughty Netherworld Press and Readers Roost said...

A twisted tale with a nicely nasty slice of revenge.

Roland Clarke said...

Scary, humorous, entertaining in a fishy tale of karmic revenge. Neatly crafted, Yolanda - with a twist in keeping with the theme.

L.G. Keltner said...

I thoroughly enjoyed the twists and turns you so expertly crafted! These two thought more alike than they realized. He was just faster in executing her plan. I enjoyed seeing her get her revenge, too. Great story!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Twisted! I like it. I like that there was no other way they could've been killed.

Jemima Pett said...

hahahaha.... Loved it! Revenge is always sweet, isnt it. Great story.

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Denise. After all the others I posted I hoped this wouldn't be a let down.

Yolanda Renée said...

Selling your soul leaves you with no say, but clearly revenge was a given!

Yolanda Renée said...

Most certainly is. I'd say they both got their just deserves!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Sanhita, my editor will be so miffed. He goes out of his way to point out my comma and quote mistakes. This is one I overlooked!

Yolanda Renée said...

Never, on Halloween there had to be more!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thank, Pat! It's Halloween there had to be a great ending!

Yolanda Renée said...

No one can win with such a life. In the afterlife, hmmm, interesting thought. Maybe replaying their mistakes is Hell!

Yolanda Renée said...

I'm glad, thanks, Bernadette!

Yolanda Renée said...

Got to go for the humor once in a while! Thanks, Lee!

Yolanda Renée said...

Who needs money in the afterlife. Revenge is always better! Thanks, Nick!

Yolanda Renée said...

Glad I could offer an interesting ride. :) Thanks, Jemi!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Nancy, so glad to see you posting again!

Yolanda Renée said...

Twisted and wrung out. Thanks, Ornery Owl!

Yolanda Renée said...

Grave Mistakes are permanent! Thanks, Roland!

Yolanda Renée said...

Yep, she waited on day too long. As we have a tendency to do. LOL Thanks, Laura!

Yolanda Renée said...

Just like her he drowned! LOL Thanks, Alex!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Jemima, it seemed the best grave mistake!

Nilanjana Bose said...

Of course she came back for a change of clothes! - have to be dressed correctly for revenge :) Always love the bite of humour in your tales. The beginning reminded me of a real life couple for a second :) A brilliant take on the prompt.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Renee - thanks for adding my DL in. Great story - I could really visualise - not to say I wanted to 'see' parts of your story ... lovely creative write ... perhaps that's why I don't like the idea of a cruise! Take care - loved this ... Hilary

Donna Hanton said...

Ha! Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned! Such a darkly humourous, twisty tale, Yolanda. I loved it.

Christopher Scott Author said...

Her husband truly made a grave mistake, that came back to haunt him ten-fold. Proving the adage, Hell have no fury like a women scorned. Well done, Yolanda.

Sally said...

A nice piece of revenge.

Carrie Ann said...

Oh I LOVE this story! I can visualize it as a film in my head! Well written!

dolorah said...

LOL; don't you just hate it when a plan backfires! This was awesome. "Came back for a change of clothes." Brilliant.

J Lenni Dorner said...

Love the twist! Guess she killed him after all. Don't think she got the money though.

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Nila.
It was a fun entry. And you are right about the real life couple, but I left most of those clues out for obvious reasons. ;)

Yolanda Renée said...

No problem, my pleasure. Hi Hilary! And I wouldn't be caught dead on a cruise, unless it was headed to Alaska, LOL!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Donna, I really enjoyed your story. Can't wait to see where you take it!

Yolanda Renée said...

So true, Christopher, so true!

Yolanda Renée said...

LOL, thanks, Sally!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Carrie!

Yolanda Renée said...

You make me laugh. Thanks, Donna!

Yolanda Renée said...

I loved your twist too! Thanks, J Lenni!

Truedessa said...

Ha - perhaps, she won in the end. Money or no money. Enjoyed your story.

Carole Stolz said...

Very well written. - The twist I liked the most was that the seawater, fish, seaweed etc. were in a high rise flat!!! What a great take!