Tuesday, June 19, 2018

WEP - UNRAVELED YARN


SNAPPED!

          “I don’t remember! I have no clue. None. Honest!” I shouted. The two men sitting across the table from me just shook their heads. One threw his hands in the air, disgust wafting off him like BO.

          Tears, fear, and rage overwhelmed me. I lowered my head to the table in a feeble attempt to disappear. The kinder of the two pushed a glass of water and a box of tissues towards me. I reached for the Kleenex, desperate to stem the flow of streaming snot before it hit the table.

            I wanted to know what happened, too. All I knew for sure is they found me with a dagger in my hand and my husband’s bloody body sprawled at my feet. Did I kill him? How? Why? What could have pushed me to murder?

Gale and I had been married for twenty years. He was a good father, an excellent breadwinner, sometimes even a great lover. We’d had our ups and downs, but never to the point of …. Sure, I’d been unhappy.  It happens. You get lazy, want something more. Maybe even think that the grass is greener on the other side. Every now and then you get a hankering for adventure, but that’s all. Just fantasy, not something you’d go to drastic measures to make happen. There’s never a reason to kill!

I straightened up, cleaned the hysteria from my face, and blew my nose. “I want an attorney and a doctor,” I squeaked.

          “Fine. That’s your right, but at least tell us what you do remember.”

          I eyed the men individually. They were as desperate as I was to know the truth. I could see it in their eyes. I shrugged. I rubbed my head in a vain attempt to clear the cobwebs. “I remember working all day on the remodel of the kitchen, sanding, painting, and repainting. Then I showered, had a sandwich and tried to read, but I was drained. One of those exhaustions that tend to keep you awake despite how tired you are, so I took an Ambien. Gale had called earlier to let me know he was working late, so I texted him an I love you and wake me when you get home wink before I turned out the light. That’s it. I went to sleep, and woke up, literally, when you found me over his ….” My voice and mind stopped.

          “Body! We found you holding a bloody knife over his dead body!” The detective shouted as he stood. “And now you’re claiming that you were sleepwalking! Shit, lady, nobody sleepwalks with a dagger in their hands.”

          “I told you what I remember.”

            A fresh round of tears and I was done. They’d get nothing more from me. Assholes! I’d seen that show Snapped. It was time to shut up and make them unravel this tale.

477 words
Yolanda Renée © 2018

I wasn't sure I'd be able to participate this month. Health not withstanding, my computer fried when the fan stopped working. so now I have a cooling pad to take care of such a threat. A threat I didn't even know existed before this happened. I am feeling much better and look forward to reading all the entries!





44 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I can't tell you how happy I am to see you in the blogosphere - and back with such an amazing tale too.
Love the darkness implicit in the last paragraph. I suspect that those men have quite a job ahead of them. Perhaps more twisted than they realise.

desk49 said...

Yes it is time
the others
unravel this tale

Denise Covey said...

Love it, Renee. Perfect for the prompt. Let them unravel it indeed!\
As Sue said, great to see you round and about!

dolorah said...

Way cool. I like the sleep-walking bit. This could be me and my hubby. Hmm, good thing I'm away from home so much, lol.

Hope you get to feeling better, and get that computer fixed. Even when I'm not writing, I miss my computer.

Pat Hatt said...

That is their job to unravel away. Maybe the knife willed it. Glad I'm not a sleep walker, that would just be messed up.

Nilanjana Bose said...

I'm super pleased to see you here!! with such an awesome cool take on the prompt too. I bet there are many women who can relate to this sleepwalker haha!
Hope the computer is fixed - we are at high risk of frying where we are, I have heard of furniture catching fire from over heated computers, yikes! Stay safe and well.


cleemckenzie said...

And you leave us wondering: Did she or didn't she? Love the suspense.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Hear that? That's me clapping. Great job... as always.

D.G. Hudson said...

I like that start - plunk right into the mystery - I suspect the sleeping pill she took was laced with something else. . .Love this Yolanda and glad you are able to write something on this challenge. Keep healthy, that's an ongoing challenge.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Well, now I want to know what happened!

Pat Garcia said...

Unraveling the whys of a woman who has probably wipe out the memory of what really happened. An excellent take on the story, and I'm happy to see you're feeling better.
All the best.
Shalom aleichem,
Pat G

Olga Godim said...

Oh, this is unfair. I want to know what happened. How it happened. And you leave us all in suspense, a clever writer that you are.
I'm so glad you're feeling better, Renee. Take care of yourself.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Great story. I'm intrigued.

Yolanda Renée said...

I actually worked out the end, at least in my mind, but only wrote this Monday and had to get it posted. Maybe later I finish the story. Lost my original when the computer fried and I'm still trying to get it back from the cloud. :)
It is good to be back!

Yolanda Renée said...

Who knows maybe there a real sleuth in the pack. :) Thanks, Ellis

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Denise, it was a close one this time. :)
Great to be around!

Yolanda Renée said...

Distance does make the heart grow fonder. You should have seen my hubby's face when I read him this one. I'll bet you'll never guess the line that caught his attention! LOL

I used several notebooks, but honestly it's the translating to computer that can be a drag. :)

Yolanda Renée said...

It's a truly twisted tale. Maybe one I'll finish later? :)
Glad I don't do that either! How scary!

Yolanda Renée said...

I'm thrilled to be here. I'm sure there are. New computer, but still trying to find my files? hate losing all that data. I have Carbonite but so far haven't gotten any of the files back. Hmmm...
Stay cool!

dolorah said...

Lol; I bet he was worried over the line " . . what could have pushed me to murder." Is he overly solicitious right now?

Consider the translations as "editing".

L.G. Keltner said...

I'm glad you were able to participate! You crafted a suspenseful tale that left me wanting to know more. Nicely done!

Yolanda Renée said...

Sorry, Olga, I ran out of time, but I do know the ending! Maybe some day I'll write it.
Thanks for the warm wishes!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Laura, I hope to finish it one day!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Natalie!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks Pat, it's good to be feeling better.

Yolanda Renée said...

Someday I'll finish the story, well maybe. Thanks, Alex!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, D.G. - There is much more to this story for sure. Too much for a short flash!

Yolanda Renée said...

LOL, not really, he's used to being murdered in my stories. At least that's what he tells everyone. It was in the description... :)
And you're right about the translations, it is editing!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Susan! I love your enthusiasm.

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Lee! We'll have to wait for the next act. :)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Oh Yolanda - that's such a 'bummer' to lose your work - but am glad you are back and up and running - and a cold pad for the computer - never heard of that either. There has to be a story there too?! But this tale could so easily take even more difficult turns - and so troubling being at the end of two detecting detectives ... you really must continue on with it ...

Good to know you're feeling better too - cheers Hilary

Adura Ojo said...

She's definitely one fine actress if we are to take her dark last lines to heart.
Did she or didn't she? Bet those detectives can't wait to unravel the murder. Or would they rather unravel her first? Doesn't seem like they have much of a chance trying the second approach but they always try that first.

Nice to see you back, Yolanda. Hope you get things back to just how you like it. Soon. Take good care.

Christine Rains said...

Ha! I've seen Snapped too. Great little piece! So glad you could participate.

I replied to your comment on my blog, but just in case, here is the link to the wrist stretches I do. I do #1-4. #3 particularly works for me even though it looks like it's hardly doing anything, but it's fantastic. https://yogainternational.com/article/view/wrist-relief-6-poses-for-rsi-repetitive-stress-injury

Denise Covey said...

Thanks Christine. I checked out the link and the exercises look great. Everything helps when we're at the computer so long.

Deborah Drucker said...

You really set up the scene well. After doing all that remodeling work she needed some space. ;)

Yolanda Renée said...

Thank you, Christine! The exercises are wonderful!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Adura, maybe she's telling the truth? Nah! )

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Hilary. I'm trying to download it from Carbonite, but it's taking forever and interfering in everything else I need to get done. Aren't computers great! :)

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Deborah! She got it, well, for now. :)

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Sounds a bit premeditated! Excellent story!

Jaya said...

Amazing story with a great twist. It leaves us in anticipation...

Unknown said...

A story well fit for the prompt, that makes me wonder what happens next.

Crystal Collier said...

Yikes! But now I want to know! What really happened?

Julie Flanders said...

Ooh I hope you do return to this story someday. I want to know what they unravel!! Such a great ending with tons of possibilities to ponder.