Monday, July 5, 2021

Just a Tidbit of Information


 A Mystery Series Set in Alaska



"You Are My Sunshine!" 

and how it became part of my books.

The editor of my first book, Murder, Madness & Love, suggested I give my heroine, Sarah, a peculiar habit. Something that would stand out and make her memorable as she navigated the emotions and stress of being stalked by a murderer.

I chose the song "You Are My Sunshine." A song I recalled from a tearjerker of a movie that made an impression on me when I was a child. The relationship of the father and daughter is what hit home for me. Anyway, it was one of those tugs on your heartstring movies. So, I chose the song for my character to use as something she would recall and absent-mindedly sing when highly stressed. Sometimes not even aware that she was. I thought it was a good choice. I thought it was an interesting reaction for Sarah to have when troubled.

Then later, she'd share that her father taught it to her to sing to her mother before they'd both leave for the long work separations that took them away from her. Meant to keep Sarah and her mother from crying. As an adult, it becomes her calming tool too.

I thought it was obscure and unique.

But it wasn't. Did you know it's one of the state songs of Louisiana? It's also the most commercially programmed number in American popular music. And it's been recorded by dozens, and I mean, dozens of artists. Google it, you'll see. No obscure little song this!

Just a little tidbit I thought you might find interesting. I hope you have! Thanks for visiting.

***

Get your copy of the Series

HERE!



9 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I found this snippet fascinating. And can well understand how it became an unconscious stress reliever. My much less interesting self goes very quiet when under stress.

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Sue. You never fail to notice that I've posted. I'm like you. I get quiet and resort to poetry to make sense of the situation. Thanks for visiting!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

State song of Louisiana? I did not know that.

Yolanda Renée said...

Was a surprise to me too!

Chrys Fey said...

I did not know it is the state songs of Louisiana, but I have heard it in a lot of commercials over the years. I like this little tidbit about your character. Thanks for sharing!

Yolanda Renée said...

Me too, that's why I finally googled it, and boy was I shocked to learn how many folks recorded it. I really thought it was obscure. :) Nope!

Denise Covey said...

Great titbit Renee. I love that song. Music/songs are great when we're stressed. Takes us back to a happy place in our memories. Got to choose the right ones!

dolorah said...

This is one of my favorite songs. I sang it to my kids when walking them to sleep all night long. And yes, it is calming. My kids still humm it when stressed, and sang it to their little ones.

Popular isn't a bad thing in this case. Just shows your heroine is normal where it counts :)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Renee - it's a wonderful song ... and yes I can see that attaching a song to a character must make it so much easier for us readers to remember. It's a great song and goes back before WW2 ... interesting history. Cheers Hilary