Tuesday, April 26, 2016

V - VILLAINS

V IS FOR VILLAINS


Villain's are some of the most fun to create and most actors say, the most fun to play. The antagonist or villain in the world of writing has the job of playing the foil to the hero. Today the goal is to create a sympathetic villain, and some authors are so good at it that the villain becomes the favorite character.

The Saint comes to mind as a villain with the heart of gold.

Maybe critic, Roger Ebert, said it best:

"Each film is only as good as its villain. Since the heroes and the gimmicks tend to repeat from film to film, only a great villain can transform a good try into a triumph."

Photo Copyright

In Murder & Obsession the villain does just that. He turns a chargeable offense into a cheer-able result. Public opinion almost grants him a pass.

Using this quote as my guide:

“The villains were always ugly in books and movies. Necessarily so, it seemed. Because if they were attractive—if their looks matched their charm and their cunning—they wouldn't only be dangerous.

They would be irresistible.”
  Nenia Campbell, Horrorscape

But the truth is:

“The fact is that we have no way of knowing if the person who we think we are is at the core of our being. Are you a decent girl with the potential to someday become an evil monster, or are you an evil monster that thinks it's a decent girl?"

"Wouldn't I know which one I was?"

"Good God, no. The lies we tell other people are nothing to the lies we tell ourselves.”

  Derek Landy, Death Bringer


Cheers to creating interesting villains!

*****



Buy Here


Read Christine's Review
of Murder & Obsession
HERE!




Please support my Thunderclap!
I'm running out of time!
Thanks!

Remember every comment during the A to Z will be an entry to win a 
paperback copy of the trilogy!
(signed if I can send by mail)



17 comments:

Nilanjana Bose said...

I always find the villains totally irresistible! My inner evil monster is a split personality :)

Unknown said...

I'd agree with the quote that each film is only as good as its villain, and I think it both matters: the character and the ability of an actor.

Sophie Duncan said...

I do like lots of different types of villains. There are those that are completely evil and you can just dislike them and be very glad when they get their comeuppance, like Goldfinger, or Blowfelt, and then there are the ones you don't want to like, but do, the mischief makers like Loki. And then there are the ones you don't exactly like, or dislike, but you empathise with them, understand them even if you don't like what they are doing, depending on the interpretation, Dracula can fall into this category. The one villain/anti-hero I can never forgive for what he does, even if I can see what his motivation is, is Heathcliffe from Wuthering Heights - his revenge is just too cruel and prolonged to be justified - his obsession with Cathy makes him blind to all else and he takes his revenge out on a younger generation.
Sophie
Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles | Wittegen Press | FB3X

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Very true. The most dangerous villain is likeable and often charming, thus making us lower our guard.

Tamara Narayan said...

Sympathy for the devil? Why not. If you can create a villain that your audience almost ends up rooting for, that can be a lot of fun to read.

Unknown said...

The lies we tell other people are nothing to the lies we tell ourselves. - this is soooooooo true! And really useful to keep in mind as a writer.

Pat Hatt said...

The villain sure can make or break. The best ones do make you lower your guard and do a double take

Pat Garcia said...

That is a wonderful quote, "The lies we tell other people are nothing compared to the lies we tell ourselves."
A good villain is just as human as anyone else and I would even say they have dreams of goodness although they might not want to show it.

Visiting from the A to Z Blog Challenge.

Shalom,
Patricia @ EverythingMustChange

cleemckenzie said...

I love a strong villain. Let's me live vicariously while I present a "nice" facade to the world.

Deborah Drucker said...

We all have a dark side and it is good to admit that. The villain is the challenge for the hero. How they interact and how the hero overcomes the villain is what makes for a great story. I do like villains that have redeeming qualities as well. If they are really mostly bad, I prefer for the hero to win. :)

Stephen Tremp said...

A great villain makes for a great story. The Joker is a great example.

Jo said...

I have come across likable villains. Not many but a few.

Elizabeth said...

My favorite line in the movie, Megamind, is "Maybe I don't want to be the bad guy anymore!" That's the first movie that comes to mind when I think of likeable villains :)

Tara Tyler said...

great job with the challenge!
and gotta love to hate the villain, and almost root for him/her to succeed a little, esp if the hero gets overconfident! he is the underdog too!

The Really Real Housewives

N. R. Williams said...

Good post. Three dimensional villains are so...well...many things.
Nancy

Ella said...

We need villains, to shock and surprise us and remind us of what humanity should be like~ Great V post!

Yolanda Renée said...

This was one of my favorite posts and I'm out all day and can't find the time to answer your comments individually. One day behind is still almost impossible to catch up to. Thanks, every one for stopping by. I love reading that there's interest in my books based on what you've read here. Makes me think I'm doing something right!

I do appreciate all of you, and visiting your blogs and leaving a comment there is my goal today and until the end of the A to Z. I've found some amazing new friends, and thankful for the opportunity! Stay strong everyone, it's almost over!