Tuesday, April 18, 2023

WEP - Life is Beautiful

 Today you'll find me at Operation Awesome's A to Z. It's all about Quaid.

HOMECOMING

"Welcome home," Major Wilson said as he helped Steven from the plane. "I'll bet Anchorage never looked so good."

"You have that right. Thank you for the ride, Major."

"My pleasure. If the Russians weren't breathing down our necks. I'd join your search. In fact, I know an entire company of men who would, but it was an honor to get you home, Detective Quaid."

"Appreciate that, Major, but thanks go to you for your service. You and your man have your hands full. I've got the entire Tlingit nation on board. We'll find my wife in no time."

"Yes, sir," Major Wilson said as Steven walked away.

Steven picked up his suitcase, unloaded by the ground crew, and crossed the tarmac to the hanger.

Just moments after landing at Elmendorf Airforce base in Anchorage via an SR-71 Blackbird, the fastest Air Force jet in the US, Brent greeted him on the tarmac and walked him to the hangar office. "I have another jet waiting to take you to Kodiak. From there, a helicopter will take us to the headquarters in Yakutat. But first, I thought you'd like to see your son."

Steven had already spotted the little guy. Tiama had his nose pressed against the glass door as he waved frantically from the jet's hanger.

"Thanks," Steven said as he hurried forward. Once inside, he dropped his bag and gathered his son in his arms. Steven pressed the little boy close. Kissing, hugging, and treasuring the little boy as Tiama giggled and said. Daddy, daddy, daddy, over and over again. Steven hadn't allowed emotion to control his actions. But, momentarily, the reality of the task before him became overwhelming. To avoid any added emotional torture, Steven took Tiama outside.

"I came home to you on that plane called Blackbird. You and Mommy mean everything to me. So I give you my promise, you'll see her soon," he told his son.

"Mummie," Tiama said.

"Yes, son. Mommy," Steven answered, tears filling his eyes as the pain in his chest became almost suffocating. Then looking to the aurora borealis, he held his son close, further suppressing all sentimentality with a prayer to the Great Spirit.

Helen, Brent, and Emma watched the reunion in tears. Emma fought a waterfall of them, waiting for her turn.

Steven returned to the hangar office and immediately went to her side. He put Tiama in one arm and pulled her close with the other. "I've got this, Emma. Sarah's coming home. I promise. I know those mountains. I'll find her."

Emma's tears couldn't be stopped. "I know you will. Brent and Helen have been busy getting things ready for your arrival."

Steven acknowledged Helen with a thank you as he pulled Emma close. Then, with her head on his chest, he said another silent prayer. Tiama wrapped his arms around his neck, and Steven absorbed strength from their love.

But time was passing, and Steven had to say goodbye and begin the search for his wife. "Don't worry, Emma, I'll bring them both home. And you know Sarah, she's a survivor. She knows the wilderness, and we bought that plane with every safeguard. Even though it's on the ground, it's filled with survival gear, first aid, and everything she needs. I won't be surprised if I get there and she's baking cookies. And you know Chet, if he had to bring the plane down, he did it with the precision of a surgeon."

Emma laughed as she wiped her eyes. "You're right. I know you are. Now, kiss your son goodbye and go get her!"

Steven twirled Tiama in the air before giving him a final hug and kiss. "My big little man," he said proudly. Eighteen months old, Tiama was growing up fast. But now, they had another on the way. His family was growing, but the danger he tried to protect them from could not be stopped.

~~*~~

Yolanda Renée © 2023

651 words

TAGLINE: Life is beautiful, family is everything.

This is an excerpt from the 7th book of my Alaskan Series, Murder on Mount Fairweather coming out December 2023. 

Detective Steven Quaid was working a case in New York when the plane his wife was on went down. But his friend pulled some favors and got him a ride on the fastest jet. But the scene with his son seemed to fit the prompt (family). I hope you think so too.

 

To learn more about the SR 71 Blackbird, check it out here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_SR-71_Blackbird

XXX


31 comments:

Denise Covey said...

Renee, the perfect excerpt from one of the Quaid series for this prompt. It's enough to get the gist. I see you've published your Love and Revenge. Love the cover. I'm off to purchase.

Olga Godim said...

Very emotional. Great excerpt about a man's love for his kid.

Elephant's Child said...

Misty eyes here - and hopeful.

J Lenni Dorner said...

I feel like I really learned a lot about your detective character from this. Very enjoyable story.
I'm loving the April Blogging from #AtoZChallenge 2023. A flash fiction story will be on my blog on April 20 for #WEPFF.
Proof of Existence, book two in my dark urban fantasy series, is out this month. I hope you'll check it out.
And please don't miss the amazing giveaway on my blog. Act fast and enter now!

J Lenni Dorner (he/him 👨🏽 or 🧑🏽 they/them) ~ Reference& Speculative Fiction Author, OperationAwesome6 Debut Author Interviewer, and Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge

Jemi Fraser said...

*wipes away tears* This definitely fit the prompt! Looking forward to the new story!!!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Yolanda - great to see and to read ... loved the excerpt - I hope all remains beautiful ... but guess there's lots of struggles ahead ... so glad you could bring Detective Quaid in ... cheers Hilary

Anonymous said...

Alaska! Super fast plane! Lots of heart! LOVE IT. And piqued my interest in the book, though detective books aren't my usual fav genre, but that's probably a compliment that it interests someone who doesn't usually read that genre, right? That's crossover selling or something else that's all YAY?

I don't know why it's listing me as anonymous. 🤔⁉️
This is Jamie from Uniquelymaladjustedbutfun

cleemckenzie said...

You've created a very sweet connection between the father and son, Renee. I enjoyed your contribution to this month's theme.

Beth Camp said...

Loved this excerpt that introduces Steven and shows off his connection/love for family. Well written to entice me to read more!

Sonia dogra said...

Hi Yolanda. I enjoyed this excerpt so much. I'm curious to know how Steven will trace down Sarah, and if he will at all! Also, the plane with all the safety equipment is intriguing. The union with Tiama fits the prompt. Best wishes for the book, Yolanda!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks Denise, it was a busy month.

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks Olga.

Yolanda Renée said...

Me too, thanks, Sue.

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks J, I look forward to reading Proof of Existence.

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Jemi. Loved your story!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Hilary. A whole book full. LOL

Yolanda Renée said...

Thank you Lee, yours was beautiful!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks Beth, I loved your entry!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks Sonia, he does, eventually, but it won't be an easy trek.

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi Jamie, it's my favorite of the series so far, but I might say that about each new one. :)

Nilanjana Bose said...

It fits the prompt perfectly! Beautifully captured the love between father and son. All the best for the book.

Sally P Stackhouse said...

So, great to read about a man showing his emotions for his family and then having to say goodbye to find his wife.

Kalpana said...

Gripping, as your writing always is. Very happy to reacquaint myself with Detective Quaid. How lovely to get inside a man's head and find that therein beats a heart with as much love for a child as in a mother's heart. One knows it but your writing made it real.

Yolanda Renée said...


Elizabeth Seckman commented on "WEP - Life is Beautiful"
Yesterday
I guess I'm going to have to read the book to see how it ends!

This comment went directly to the junk folder of my email account. But did not show up here. ODD?

Yolanda Renée said...

Elizabeth, thanks for the visit and comment. I'd love for you to beta read if you'd like. :)

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks Kalpana. Your entry was heartbreaking.

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks Sally. It's hard to write it too. :)

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks Nila, you too!

Damyanti Biswas said...

Poignant, gripping, and hopeful. Lovely story, Yolanda.

Kelly Steel said...

Oh my. The short story was so stirring. I loved the emotions showing through.

Anonymous said...

thecontemplativecat here. You caught me right away. You have some mad writing skills.