Friday, January 4, 2019

What is a Word Worth?



The View from the Patio


© Yolanda Renee 2019                                      1/03/2019

         Welcome to 2019 and my attempt at blogging with a purpose. The View from the Patio will feature the actual view on the day it’s written, and the subject is open.

What is the purpose? Good Question. When I figure that out, I’ll let you know. 😊

Since it’s the New Year, I’ll speak to resolutions. The age-old attempt by most of us to start the year with a new goal.

This year I resolve to be real.

To be ME! 

In other words, I’m going to do exactly what I want, when I want, and for whatever reason I choose.

In the past, I’ve played it too safe. I’ve been whatever everyone else wanted me to be. Setting myself up for failure, heartache, and disappointment. Well, no more!

Today I felt like writing a blog, and this is it. Who knows, tomorrow it could be a new novel, an old book, or fun at the library doing research. Or I might write a short story, flash fiction, or poetry. And the most exciting thing is, if I get really ambitious, I might even submit for publication.

We’ll see.

Why the laissez-faire attitude?

Because I can.

Now onto the real subject of the day: I was recently asked to apply for a writing job. It was an opportunity to write short stories in the horror genre.

The parameters were that I’d retain no rights and my name wouldn’t be used. The rate of pay is one cent per word.

3,000 words = $30

5,000 words = $50

and

10,000 words = $100.

Wait…What?

Yeah, my exact response.

I’m a cheap date, but I found that offer to be an insult. Especially when you consider the time and effort involved in the creative process. Or am I the only one who struggles over every word, sentence, and paragraph when I write?

I know my words are worth more than a penny, but what do you think?


How much is a word worth?

*****



HAPPY NEW YEAR!

HAPPY WRITING!

&

remember to
keep it real!


“The greatest challenge in life is to be our own person and accept that being different is a blessing and not a curse. A person who knows who they are lives a simple life by eliminating from their orbit anything that does not align with his or her overriding purpose and values. A person must be selective with their time and energy because both elements of life are limited.”
Kilroy J. Oldster, Dead Toad Scrolls








29 comments:

Denise Covey said...

Hey Renee! Happy New Year, my friend. Sounds great the way you're tackling it. Love that you're going to stop accommodating everyone and sit more happily in your own skin. Don't falter.
Onto the worth of words. Considering how long it takes to craft stories, no writer gets paid what they're worth. Just got to say, one thing that pleases me is that indie authors are beginning to see that there's no value in offering their hard-written, expensively-covered and expensively-edited books for free or 99c! About time. And these authors are gaining respect and making money. Woo hoo!

Thanks for making me smile! (You know what I've been doing!) Those new ideas are just about done!

Denise x

L.G. Keltner said...

A penny per word is far too low considering you'd retain no rights and get no credit for your work. That's definitely an insult.

Happy New Year! I hope 2019 treats you well!

Pat Hatt said...

Oh, I've had those offers too. I ignored or told them to shove it. Found a few who paid really good though, so they are out there. Doing what you want when you want works for us.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That does seem way too low. Hart Johnson wrote a book on spec under a different name - ask her how much she was paid for it.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Be you!

I can see as low as 5 cents a word, but a penny?

Yolanda Renée said...

Hey, sweet lady!
I agree we are worth more. So happy to see you thrilled to be moving forward. I can't wait for the next read through!
Happy New Year!

Yolanda Renée said...

Hey, Laura, CONGRATULATIONS on your win in the anthology! So cool! Title winner again! Awesome!
I thought it was a bit low. :)
Happy New Year, and ditto on a great year for all of us!

Yolanda Renée said...

I hope more writers do, that's ridiculous!
Happy New Year, Pat!

Yolanda Renée said...

Hey, Alex. I will, thanks.

Happy New Year!

Yolanda Renée said...

Being me, for sure! A penny is way to low!

Happy new Year, Diane!

Gina Gao said...

Happy New Year, hope 2019 treats you well!

www.ficklemillennial.blogspot.com

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Okay, so I've hear of a "penny for your thoughts," but a penny a word is downright insulting. I'm glad you turned it down.

And I LOVE your resolution! With that attitude, I foresee a great year for you, dear lady. :)

Stephen Tremp said...

Gotta love this theme. Life's too short.

'This year I resolve to be real.

To be ME!'

Elizabeth Seckman said...

When I first started, I did what I wanted, when I wanted and loved it. Somewhere I started to worry about being "professional" and that has drained me a bit. I should go back to doing whatever I want.

I'm not the one to ask about decent pay rates. I'll sell a story for a cheeseburger and be happy about it.

Julie Flanders said...

I was thinking the same thing as Elizabeth - I feel like I've been drained by worrying too much about publishing and trying to be professional. Your resolve to just do what you want and enjoy is inspiring! I'm trying to do that now with my writing - just want to enjoy the act of doing it again. Here's to being real for 2019. :)

Unknown said...

This article is very useful, thank you for sharing. And allow me to share articles too, it's about health and treatment. God willing
Cara Mengatasi Detak Jantung Tidak Beraturan (Aritmia), Cara Menghilangkan Polip Pulpa Pada Gigi Berlubang Secara Alami, Cara Mengobati Kista Baker Secara Alami, Cara Menyembuhkan Erosi Serviks Secara Alami

Christine Rains said...

Happy 2019! I love it that you're doing what you want. :) I'm trying to be kinder to myself and not stress about doing what others want this year too.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Renee! Happy New Year...

I really hope you continue this wonderful new attitude of yours... it is about time. You deserver to be YOU and enjoy who you are for YOU and no one else.

I would be APPALLED and I would certainly say what Patt Said... SHOVE IT! You words are worth 100 times that!

ALL the best in the NEW YEAR!!!

Michelle Wallace said...

I love that attitude... doing what you want, when you want, and for whatever reason you choose!
My number one priority is that writing remains an enjoyable and exciting venture. No compromise.
A penny per word? Sounds really low. Unbelievable. So much hard work goes into a story.

Happy New Year, Yolanda!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Gina!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thank you, Susan. I think so too! At least I'm planning it that way! :)

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks, Stephen. It is, time to let it all go and enjoy!

Yolanda Renée said...

Depends on the story. But I know what you mean. Hey, Elizabeth!

Yolanda Renée said...

I agree, marketing is the worst and really it no longer matters. If you want to read my work, do it, it's out there. I'm a writer and I'm busy writing!

Yolanda Renée said...

Good health is the key!

Yolanda Renée said...

Kinder to self is a great thing. Here's to us!

Yolanda Renée said...

Hi, Michael! So good to hear from you. How that's book going. I can't wait to read it!

Yolanda Renée said...

A lot of hard work, but I would like to begin selling my work. Short stories, once in a while. That's my goal this year. We'll see...

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Renee - the value people put on things. Good luck with putting more stories out there, and articles et al ... the more = the more likely you'll be picked up - all the best for 2019 - but love the idea for your posts ... cheers Hilary